|“Bitsa Pie” Inside (looks are deceiving – tasted great!)|
1 sheet frozen shortcrust pastry
1 sheets frozen puff pastry
1 Tablespoon rice bran oil
2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
2 shallots, finely chopped
500g beef mince
500g packet mixed frozen vegetables (this one had peas, corn, beans, carrot, potato)
1 Tablespoon plain flour
1 Tablespoon mixed dried herbs
1/4 cup water
splash balsamic vinegar
salt, pepper to taste
- Prepare filling mixture ahead of time to cool.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and saute garlic and shallots.
- Add beef and cook though then add herbs and vegetables.
- Cook vegies through then add flour, stir through and add water.
- When mix has thickened, add vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.
- Defrost both sheets of pastry
- Preheat oven to 180ºC
- Line 23cm pie dish with shortcrust pastry, line with baking paper and pie weights* and bake blind for 10 minutes.
- Remove paper and weights and bake for a further 5 minutes until pastry is golden.
- Spoon in mixture (it may not all fit so keep any extra aside for just eating!)
- Cover with puff pastry and cut a small hole in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 20 minutes until top is golden brown.