What a day! It has been bucketing down! Normally on a Wednesday, Amy has ballet after school, but thankfully, today, she decided it was definitely too wet. This was good news as we got drenched walking home. So what did we do? After lovely hot showers, it was time for a hot chocolate and some warm banana and date bread which Sophie and I had made just before pick up time. The smell as we walked in the house was certainly welcoming.
Some notes about the Banana Bread
- It is egg and dairy free so may appear more dense than “normal”.
- Other fruit such as sultanas and raisins may be substituted for the dates.
- I used 4 large bananas
- For the apple puree, my preference is to use the pure fruit found in baby food rather than apple sauce. Of course, home made apple puree could be used but I’m not sure how that would effect the wet ingredients needed.
- I would like to try it next time with wholemeal flour.
Banana and Date Bread
300g self raising flour
1 tspn bicarb
1 Tbspn mixed spice
100g pitted dates, chopped
500g mashed banana
150g apple puree
100mL Rice Bran Oil
250mL rice milk (approx)
- Preheat oven to 180ºC and spray / grease a 12cm x 22cm loaf pan.
- Sift together flour, bicarb and mixed spice.
- Add banana, apple, oil and some milk and mix well.
- Add enough milk to make a thick, slightly sloppy batter.
- Pour mix into pan and bake for approx 50 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.